Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-11 18:38:42
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> What about:
>> * Joins.  Does an aliased JOIN output variable get resolved
>> to the underlying table variable?  What about common columns
>> in USING/NATURAL joins?

> Sorry, not sure what you mean - can you give me an example?

Sure, consider table1 with columns a,b,c and table2 with a,x,y:

has output columns a,b,c,x,y (notice only one column a).  How do you
expect these to be labeled?  Does the answer change if the join is
OUTER?  For example, in a LEFT JOIN x and y might return NULLs that
have nothing to do with any table2 row; is it still appropriate to
label them as table2 outputs?  And what do we do with column a in
each outer-join case?

Also, how about an aliased join

	SELECT * FROM (table1 NATURAL JOIN table2) AS q(r,s,t,u,v)

In this case the output columns are named q.r, q.s, q.t, q.u, q.v as
far as the SELECT list can tell --- it's actually illegal to refer to
table1.* or table2.* in the SELECT list, IIRC.  Do we drill down into
the JOIN?  (Probably so, if you expect the thing to drill down into
sub-SELECTs, but I want clarity ...)

>> * Sub-selects.  Are you expecting
>> to produce a reference to foo.x?  (If so, why is this
>> different from the case where ss is a view?)

> Yes, I would expect that reference. I don't think it's different from a
> view - we are trying to deciper the SQL itself, not what a view actually
> represents so I would expect to see references to whatever relation is
> in the original SQL, whether that relation is the result of a subselect
> from another table/view, or a view.

Okay, that clarifies the intent quite a bit.  So we need to do the labeling
processing before any view rewriting occurs.  That probably means
sticking the info into Resdom nodes during the parser, rather than
extracting it on-the-fly from the planned query.