Re: PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on OS X -- psql: FATAL 1: user "postgres" does not exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ericwilke(at)mac(dot)com (Eric Wilke)
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on OS X -- psql: FATAL 1: user "postgres" does not exist
Date: 2004-03-13 23:26:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
ericwilke(at)mac(dot)com (Eric Wilke) writes:
> I keep getting a FATAL 1 error with any user I try to put in.

We're not likely to be able to help you unless you show us exactly what
you typed and exactly what the response was.  Otherwise there's too much
guessing involved.

BTW, PG 7.2.1 is quite ancient.  If you're just getting started and
don't have backwards-compatibility issues to worry about, you should
start with the current release, 7.4.2.  Recent releases build out of the
box on Darwin, so you don't really need to depend on Apple's old port.
Or if you don't have Apple's Developer Tools installed, you should be
able to find a precompiled recent release via Fink or other places.