having trouble restoring a database from files

From: "Trefethen, Zachary J" <zachary(dot)j(dot)trefethen(at)lmco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: having trouble restoring a database from files
Date: 2006-09-27 16:19:01
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello -

I searched through the archives but didn't find a solution to the exact
situation I am in - please help if you can.

had a server go down (running RHEL3), don't have one of my databases
backed up, but have the /var/lib/pgsql/ directory backed up.

I set up a new server and installed postgres on it, then untar'd my
/var/lib/pgsql files into the new server, to attempt to restore the
databases, but now postgresql won't start.

[root(at)ew root]# service rhdb start

Starting PostgreSQL - Red Hat Edition service:             [FAILED]

Any ideas on what might be preventing the service from starting?

Thanks!

Josh

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Rod TaylorDate: 2006-09-27 16:31:52