Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - Error trying to connect

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Don Oliver" <dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Pgaccess - Error trying to connect
Date: 2000-03-02 03:46:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Don Oliver" <dayo_nanaimo(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> PostgreSQL is always on, and works fine from the command line. (A console in
> X.)

If you mean that "psql" works, that's good, but by default psql tries to
connect via a Unix socket file, not via TCP/IP.  So TCP connection
problems won't necessarily show up.  If you use the -h option then psql
tries to use a TCP connection, which is what pgaccess always tries.
I'll bet if you do "psql -h localhost" you see the same failure as in
pgaccess.

> If I try to start pgaccess with: "pgaccess don", the main PgAccess window
> comes up,
> (empty) but there is an error message box in front of it. The message is:

>      "Error trying to connect to database "don" on host localhost.
>       PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed:
>       Network is unreachable. is the postmaster running (with -i) at
>       'localhost' and accepting connections on TCP/IP port '5432'?"

The critical part of that message is the "Network is unreachable" part,
which is the kernel error message that pgaccess is getting when it tries
to connect.  That's a pretty darn bizarre error code to get for an
attempt to contact 'localhost'.  I think there's something screwy in
the networking configuration of your machine.  Dunno what exactly;
but it likely doesn't have anything directly to do with Postgres.
If you do, say, "telnet localhost 23", do you get a telnet login prompt
or an error?