Re: Configuration of statistical views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuration of statistical views
Date: 2001-06-29 14:49:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> So I can see value in a per database default in pg_database
> plus the ability to switch it on/off via statement to analyze
> single commands.

Do you even need a per-database default? Why not an installation-wide
default in postgresql.conf plus on/off commands? The great advantage
of doing it that way is that it's simply a GUC variable or three, and
you don't need to expend any work on developing infrastructure. So
I'd recommend doing it that way to get started, even if you later decide
that something more complex is warranted.