Re: [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware

From: David Rees <drees76(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Jeff <threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, A B <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware
Date: 2009-01-26 20:58:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org> wrote:
> I'm quite excited about the feature. I'm still on 8.2 mostly because of the
> downtime of the dump & restore. I wrote up some plans a while back on doing
> the poor-mans parallel restore, but I haven't had the time to actually do
> it.

We use slony to provide read-only copies of the database for reporting
purposes and any other queries that it's OK to serve data that may be
slightly stale. We also have used it to upgrade our 15GB database
with only a few minutes of downtime instead of the minimum 2 hours it
takes to do a dump/restore.

Slony works with any version of Postgres going back to versions before
8.1 (anyone still use Postgres that old?). If you get all your ducks
in a row, you can get upgraded with only seconds of downtime, though
realistically it takes a bit longer.
http://slony.info/documentation/versionupgrade.html

-Dave