Re: Missing Postgres Database

From: "Bruce, Tim" <tim(dot)bruce(at)fiserv(dot)com>
To: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing Postgres Database
Date: 2007-10-04 20:07:45
Lists: pdxpug

From: Mark Wong [mailto:markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 12:48 PM
To: Bruce, Tim
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pdxpug] Missing Postgres Database

On 10/4/07, Bruce, Tim <tim(dot)bruce(at)fiserv(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello all....
>
> I'm doing some testing on a new server and there is no postgres
> database. I can connect with the user postgres to the database
template1.

Hi Tim,

I'm guessing the createdb command is what you're missing (examples at
the bottom):

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/app-createdb.html

Here is another example:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-createdatabase.html

I think that will get you a little bit further.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark....

Based upon how the other servers were built, it appeared that the
postgres database was built (and populated with items) when it was
installed. Since I know almost nothing about PostgreSQL, but I get to
support it, I'm trying to figure out what should be there, what the
vendor provided and what I need to do to make it work correctly.

I guess I have more research to do to rebuild the postgres database with
these objects....or if they're even needed.

Tim