Re: Simplifying Text Search

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simplifying Text Search
Date: 2007-11-12 16:56:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So we end up with a normal sounding function that is overloaded to
> provide all of the various goodies.

As best I can tell, @@ does exactly this already. This is just a
different spelling of the same capability, and I don't actually
find it better. Why is "text_search(x,y)" better than "x @@ y"?
We don't recommend that people write "texteq(x,y)" instead of
"x = y".

> Sound good?

It's not an improvement, it's not compatible with what existing tsearch2
users are accustomed to, and it's several months too late...