Re: bits & the end of the world

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ian Turner <vectro(at)pipeline(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bits & the end of the world
Date: 2000-08-28 04:17:21
Lists: pgsql-general

>> I just got everyone's favorite error message:
>> FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
>> Recreate index pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index.

>> Except, of course, this is a system index.

There's a REINDEX command now that you can use in standalone mode
to recover from something like this.

The procedure is arcane (translation: I don't know it) so check
the documentation and follow it carefully.

I've fixed a few bugs in btree for 7.1 and am optimistically hoping
that this message will not be heard from again after 7.1 is out...