Re: move forward 0 from foo;

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chester Kustarz <chester(at)arbor(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: move forward 0 from foo;
Date: 2004-03-23 22:37:10
Lists: pgsql-sql
Chester Kustarz <chester(at)arbor(dot)net> writes:
> I expected "MOVE FORWARD 0 FROM foo;" to always return
> 0, but I have found this not to be the case.

You are misinterpreting the output.  The result is the number of rows
that would have been returned by a FETCH with the same parameters.
FETCH 0 means "re-fetch current row" (don't blame us, this is per SQL
spec), and so it will return 1 row unless you are currently positioned
off the end of the result.  Hence, MOVE 0 returns either 0 or 1
depending on whether you are currently on a row.

It looks like the MOVE documentation is a bit poorly worded; I'll do
something about that.