Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Which Binary?
Date: 2006-04-01 04:02:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> On Mar 31, 2006, at 16:01, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It seems rather pointless to document two instances of what is in fact
>> a generic autoconf-script behavior ...

> I'm sorry to be such a moron about this, but what exactly is that
> behavior? That you can specify an environment variable for whatever *
> is in --with-*?

The generic autoconf documentation says

You can give `configure' initial values for configuration parameters
by setting variables in the command line or in the environment. Here
is an example:

./configure CC=c89 CFLAGS=-O2 LIBS=-lposix

This isn't super helpful, of course, since it doesn't say exactly which
variables any particular autoconf script responds to. But pretty much
all of the programs that a configure script searches for are reflected
as variables. A quick grep through our configure script for the phrase
"Let the user override" finds a couple dozen hits, and that's just for
programs, never mind non-program variables.