Re: Postgresql data integrity during RAID10 drive rebuild

From: "Steve Poe" <steve(dot)poe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql data integrity during RAID10 drive rebuild
Date: 2006-11-29 19:21:18
Lists: pgsql-general
> Yep, I've done it a few times.  A few tips:
>
> backup your database with pg_dump.  confirm you can restore on a test
> machine.

Thanks. We do nightly dump and restore  to a second server for
testing/backup purposes.
 The data is entact. Are you recommending a dump before we begin the drive
rebuild?

replace the drive during the lowest traffic period for your database.

Sounds good. According to LSI, the drive will take 8 hrs to rebuild a 146GB
disc (at a 30% rebuild rate), so doing this in the middle of the day is not
ideal.

The LSI cards are very stable.  I've replaced drives under them back in
> the Ultra-320 days with removable caddies.  I would imagine that as long
> as you have the proper drive caddies you're set.  If the drives are not
> in removable caddies, you'll need to power down to safely unplug them.

The drive is on a removable caddie in a 4-disc array backplane.

Scott, Joshua, and Vivek...thanks for your feedback.

Steve Poe
Adobe Animal Hospital