Re: NOT IN >2hrs vs EXCEPT < 2 sec.

From: Kevin Traster <kevin(at)mffais(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOT IN >2hrs vs EXCEPT < 2 sec.
Date: 2009-01-29 07:56:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Kevin Traster <kevin(at)mffais(dot)com> wrote:
> > 2 questions:
> >
> > 1) Different costs for same actions. Doing an explain on 2 nearly
> identical
> > queries both involving the same Index scan on same table has 2 widely
> > different costs for same Index scan 303375872.86 vs. 12576.70
>
> Pretty sure this is a FAQ by now.
>
> not in and except treat nulls differently. If you table has nullable
> fields and nulls would break your query, then not in () is a bad
> choice. Therefore, effort to optimize had been placed into except,
> which is distinctly, symantically different from not in ().
>
> It seems like some shift in the pg community has happened where we're
> suddenly getting a lot of folks who came from a database where not in
> and except are treated the same, even though they most definitely do
> not mean the same thing.

Umm... No. The top of the post you quoted regards the difference between the
query "get ciknum from cik" versus get ciknum from cik where NOT IN.... The
only differene between the two queries is the qualification of "where ciknum
not in ....". It does not involve the difference between NOT IN versus
Except

Both queries do an Index Scan using cik_ciknum_idx and those numbers show
the different costs doing the same task.

In this case, neither table allowes nulls in the columns, both tables have
single indexes on the columns used.

Regarding the previous posts about the same issues of PERFORMENCE between
NOT IN versus EXCEPT. There has not been any answer to explain it - just
talk about the differenences between the two results.

Yes, I can still get the results using EXCEPT but it would be nice to no why
I can't get NOT IN to complete the simple query.