Re: Missing data in Information Schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing data in Information Schema
Date: 2005-11-02 18:23:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca> writes:
> This morning while trying to generate a file of metadata I found that =
> most of the views in Information_Schema are empty, for example =
> referential_constraints, table_constraints, etc.

The information_schema is mostly restricted to show you info about
objects you own --- if you run your test as a superuser, do you get
more info?

(This behavior is per SQL:1999. We recently noticed that SQL:2003 seems
to be laxer and allow you to see info about objects you can access, not
just those you own. We'll probably fix PG 8.2 to follow that behavior,
but it's too late for 8.1.)