Re: postgres server crashes unexpectedly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chadwick Horn" <chadhorn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres server crashes unexpectedly
Date: 2008-03-18 02:32:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Chadwick Horn" <chadhorn(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> PANIC: corrupted item pointer: offset = 0, size = 0
> LOG: autovacuum process (PID 3037) was terminated by signal 6

Hmm ... the only instances of that error text are in PageIndexTupleDelete
and PageIndexMultiDelete, so we can fairly safely say that you have a
partially zeroed-out page in some index somewhere. If that's the only
damage then you're in luck: you can recover by reindexing.

What I'd do is turn off autovacuum and instead do a manual VACUUM
VERBOSE to see where it crashes; then you could just reindex the one
problem table instead of the whole database.

You ought to look into why this happened, too. Since you've provided
precisely 0 context about PG version or platform, it's hard to speculate
about that ...