Re: Keep a user from creating tables ?

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keep a user from creating tables ?
Date: 2004-05-17 19:38:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
Stephan,

Thanks for the info, but alas, no success.

I have:
              List of database users
 User name | User ID |         Attributes
-----------+---------+----------------------------
 testuser  |     100 |
 postgres  |       1 | superuser, create database

And as postgres I ran:
REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA public FROM testuser;

Then I connect:
psql -d testdb -U testuser

(I should not even be able to connect ?)

And I run:
CREATE TABLE foo (man INT, choo(VARCHAR(20));

And it works ...

Am I misundertanding something, or is it simply not possible to prevent users from creating tables ?

In Informix this quite easy:
  REVOKE RESOURCE FROM testuser;

I am puzzled at postgres' documentation, and perhaps at its underlying logic.

Any help would be appreciated -- this is sort of important.

Thanks!

Greg W.