Re: Question about inserts

From: "Stijn Vanroye" <s(dot)vanroye(at)farcourier(dot)com>
To: "mike" <mike(at)redtux1(dot)uklinux(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about inserts
Date: 2004-04-23 11:07:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Maybe you can do something with this function:

[quote from the postgres docs]
9.12.2. COALESCE
COALESCE(value [, ...])
The COALESCE function returns the first of its arguments that is not null. Null is returned only if all arguments are null. This is often useful to substitute a default value for null values when data is retrieved for display, for example:

SELECT COALESCE(description, short_description, '(none)') ...

Like a CASE expression, COALESCE will not evaluate arguments that are not needed to determine the result; that is, arguments to the right of the first non-null argument are not evaluated.
[end quote]

Isn't it possible to pass "NULL" to the query in stead of ''?
eg. update table set datefield=NULL

Regards,

Stijn Vanroye