Re: Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error

From: "Stijn Vanroye" <s(dot)vanroye(at)farcourier(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing 7.4.2 - ./configure error
Date: 2004-04-19 07:42:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

> "Stijn Vanroye" <s(dot)vanroye(at)farcourier(dot)com> writes:
> > If succesfully downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file
> (hurray), but am stuck in the first (*sic*) step of the
> actual installation process. When I run ./configure (without
> any extra parameters), I get the error "C compiler cannot
> create executables" when configure is checking for C compiler
> default output.
>
> configure doesn't print many details on the terminal. Look in
> config.log to see the actual error messages; they may be more
> informative.
>
> regards, tom lane

Indeed, it seems that I'm missing a file crt1.o in /usr/bin/ld.
Thanks for the tip. I suspect that gcc didn't fully install or
something like that. (But then again I'm very new to Linux)
It also could be that coLinux isn't officialy released as stable
(www.colinux.org), and that the offered images aren't that
complete. Therefore I'm not going deeper into the matter.

I did managed to find a workaround by using apt-get and a backport
to obtain version 7.4.1. (Thanks go to Collin for the tips)

I would like to conclude by giving my compliments to the Postgres
development team.

Regards,

Stijn Vanroye