Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What's the best hardver for PostgreSQL 8.1?
Date: 2005-12-23 16:23:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:14 PM, David Lang wrote:

> but it boils down to the fact that there just isn't enough
> experiance with the new sun systems to know how well they will
> work. they could end up being fabulous speed demons, or dogs (and
> it could even be both, depending on your workload)

The v20z isn't the newest sun hardware anyhow... The X2100, X4100,
and X4200 are.  I've been trying to buy an X4100 for going on three
weeks now but the local sun reseller is making it very hard.  you'd
think they'd actually want to go out of their way to make a sale but
they seem to do the opposite.

for those of you who say 'well, it is a small sale' my original
request was for over $50k in equipment, and after a while decided
that other equipment from other vendors who do care was sufficient,
and only the opteron boxes needed to come from sun. add a zero return
policy and you wonder how they expect to keep in business....

sorry, i had to vent.

but once it does come in I'll be glad to post up some numbers :-)