Re: Binary in/out for aclitem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary in/out for aclitem
Date: 2011-02-23 21:30:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
=?utf-8?q?Rados=C5=82aw_Smogura?= <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu> writes:
> Here is extended version, has version field (N_ACL_RIGHTS*2) and reserved
> mask, as well definition is more general then def of PGSQL. In any way it
> require that rights mades bit array.

You're going in quite the wrong direction here.  The consensus as I
understood it was that we should just use the text representation in
binary mode too, rather than inventing a separate representation that's
going to put a whole new set of constraints on what can happen to the
internal representation.  The proposal you have here has no redeeming
social value whatever, because nobody cares about the I/O efficiency
for aclitem (and even if anyone did, you've made no case that this would
actually be more efficient to use on the client side).