Odd odbc error message with excel et.al.

From: jwsacksteder(at)ramprecision(dot)com
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Odd odbc error message with excel et.al.
Date: 2004-01-26 19:59:27
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am using pg_odbc version 07.03.0200 on WIN2000 to connect to to PG 7.3.2
on Linux. I use pgadmin3 for day-to-administration and am able to connect to
the databases with python scripts that use the odbc database interfaces.
However, when I try to connect using the 'get external data' function of
Excel(and implicitly, MSQuery)I get a error dialog that says 'blank' and an
'ok' button. Connections work fine with OpenOffice.org's spreadsheet. The
SQL logging function in the control panel gets me nowhere, as we are not
getting past the authentication phase when this happens and there is nothing
to log yet. Apparently, MSQuery is exercising the ODBC driver in a way that
the other tools do not. Since 'blank' is such a common word, google is less
than useful. Any suggestions to pin this down would be gladly accepted!