Re: BUG #4100: GMT offsets are wrong

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Peter Coxhead" <pdcoxhead(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4100: GMT offsets are wrong
Date: 2008-04-08 14:20:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Peter Coxhead wrote:
>> I find the results to selecting the time in a GMT offset are
>> backwards, so

> I think you're being bitten by the stupid rules of POSIX timezones.
> They declare + as being west of GMT, and - as east. Which is not what
> you'd expect, but it's what the standard says.

Well, it's just as sane as the other way.  The problem is that POSIX
specified one sign convention and ISO-8601 chose the other one ...
so we're kinda stuck here.

The general rule is that PG follows the ISO convention for everything
*except* POSIX-style timezone names, where obviously we must do what
POSIX said.  I'm not entirely certain if we were consistent about this
as far back as 7.4, though.  Our timezone code got pretty heavily
revamped in 8.0.