Re: [DOCS] Autovacuum and XID wraparound

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Autovacuum and XID wraparound
Date: 2007-05-16 20:30:18
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>>> Now that I think this a bit more, I think CLUSTER should freeze the
>>> tuples.
>>
>> I disagree with that...

> Ok. Why?

It's removing potentially-important data without any notice or recourse
to the user.  There seems to be a contingent around here that thinks
that as soon as xmin is older than GlobalXmin it is no longer of
interest to anyone, but I have lost count of how often I have found it
invaluable for forensic purposes.  I have resisted having VACUUM freeze
tuples before they've reached a quite-respectable age, and I object to
having CLUSTER do it either.

I could maybe accept a CLUSTER FREEZE option to do this, but that's not
what's in the patch.