Re: SELECT ... FOR UPDATE [WAIT integer | NOWAIT] for 8.5

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT ... FOR UPDATE [WAIT integer | NOWAIT] for 8.5
Date: 2009-05-11 19:24:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hello tom ...

the reason for SELECT FOR UPDATE is very simple:
this is the typical lock obtained by basically every business
application if written properly (updating a product, whatever).
the problem with NOWAIT basically is that if a small transaction holds
a a lock for a subsecond, you will already lose your transaction
because it does not wait at all (which is exactly what you want in
some cases). however, in many cases you want to compromise on wait
forever vs. die instantly.
depending on the code path we could decide how long to wait for which
operation. this makes sense as we would only fire 1 statement instead
of 3 (set, run, set back).

i agree that a GUC is definitely an option.
however, i would say that adding an extension to SELECT FOR UPDATE,
UPDATE and DELETE would make more sense form a usability point of view
(just my 0.02 cents).

if hackers' decides to go for a GUC, we are fine as well and we will
add it to 8.5.

many thanks,

hans