Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-28 19:06:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Hmm, you could start streaming the WAL before you start the backup, so
> the fact that you've already removed some segments that are needed to
> restore from the backup by the time pg_stop_backup() is called doesn't
> necessarily mean that the backup is useless.

> You'd need a stand-alone tool to do the streaming in that case, and no
> such tool exists yet, but I would be surprised if one doesn't appear on
> pgfoundry sooner or later :-).

Yeah.  ISTM the real bottom line here is that we have only a weak grasp
on how these features will end up being used; or for that matter what
the common error scenarios will be.  I think that for the time being
we should err on the side of being permissive.  We can tighten things
up and add more nanny-ism in the warnings later on, when we have
more field experience.