Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving information about password from MS Access front-end

From: Volkan YAZICI <volkan(dot)yazici(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] retrieving information about password from MS Access front-end
Date: 2005-06-13 06:47:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

On 6/13/05, Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr> wrote:
> I want to create VBA procedure that compares value in text box with actual
> password to determine if it is the same. As the password is encrypted (md5)
> I can't read it from pg_shaddow system table. How to retrieve decrypted
> value from pg_shaddow?

It's (practically) impossible to decrypt a MD5 hashed password.

> Or at least, how to transfer value from text-box (MS Access) to Postgres
> so that Postgres can determine whether those two values
> are the same ?

You need to MD5 hash the input passsword and compare hashed input
password with the one in pg_shadow. For instance:

-- $1 for password input.
SELECT usernm FROM recs WHERE passwd = md5($1)

Furthermore, it'll bring some potential security problems to be able
to access pg_shadow which requires db admin permissions.

Regards.