Re: Error: could not find a feasible split point for "obs_v_file_id_index"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org>
Cc: PGBugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error: could not find a feasible split point for "obs_v_file_id_index"
Date: 2004-08-30 15:31:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org> writes:
> While doing some daily processing, I ran across the following error:

> ERROR:  could not find a feasible split point for "obs_v_file_id_index"

>  file_id | integer | not null
> Inexes:    "obs_v_file_id_index" btree (file_id)

On an index on an *integer* column??  That's a can't-happen error in the
first place, and it's particularly silly when the index entries are
small and fixed-width.  I surmise that you have a corrupted index, but
it would be interesting to examine the entrails.  Is it repeatable?
Is the database small enough that you could ship me a tarball copy
(or if not, would you be willing to let me into your system to look at
it)?