Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5

From: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Gabrielle Roth" <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5
Date: 2009-01-14 03:49:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Kevin Grittner

>> It appears to peak around 220 database connections:
>>
>> http://pugs.postgresql.org/node/514
>
> Interesting. What did you use for connection pooling?

It's a fairly dumb but custom built C program for the test kit:

http://git.postgresql.org/?p=~markwkm/dbt2.git;a=summary

I think the bulk of the logic is in src/client.c, src/db_threadpool.c,
and src/transaction_queue.c.

> My tests have never stayed that flat as the connections in use
> climbed. I'm curious why we're seeing such different results.

I'm sure the difference in workloads makes a difference. Like you
implied earlier, I think we have to figure out what works best in for
our own workloads.

Regards,
Mark