Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5

From: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gabrielle Roth" <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5
Date: 2008-12-23 03:48:57
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Kevin Grittner

>> The DL380 G5 is an 8 core Xeon E5405 with 32GB of
>> memory.  The MSA70 is a 25-disk 15,000 RPM SAS array, currently
>> configured as a 25-disk RAID-0 array.
>
>> number of connections (250):
>
>> Moving forward, what other parameters (or combinations of) do people
>> feel would be valuable to illustrate with this workload?
>
> To configure PostgreSQL for OLTP on that hardware, I would strongly
> recommend the use of a connection pool which queues requests above
> some limit on concurrent queries.  My guess is that you'll see best
> results with a limit somewhere aound 40, based on my tests indicating
> that performance drops off above (cpucount * 2) + spindlecount.

Yeah, we are using a homegrown connection concentrator as part of the
test kit, but it's not very intelligent.

> I wouldn't consider tests of the other parameters as being very useful
> before tuning this.  This is more or less equivalent to the "engines"
> configuration in Sybase, for example.

Right, I have the database configured for 250 connections but I'm
using 200 of them.  I'm pretty sure for this scale factor 200 is more
than enough.  Nevertheless I should go through the exercise.

Regards,
Mark