REMINDER: Meeting 9/18, 7pm - Visual Planner

From: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgresql PDX_Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: REMINDER: Meeting 9/18, 7pm - Visual Planner
Date: 2008-09-18 20:45:41
Lists: pdxpug

Topic: Visual Planner
Presenter: Tom Raney, PSU
Where: FreeGeek, 1731 SE 10th Avenue, Portland, OR
When: 7pm, September 18, 2008

Tom Raney will be presenting the Visual Planner, a GUI tool written in
Java that enables the user to peek inside the PostgreSQL planner's
decision making process. The tool shows all plans that were evaluated
including the plan that was picked for execution. Tom worked on this
during Google Summer of Code, and credits Dr. Len Shapiro, a professor
at Portland State University and PDXPUG regular, as a great help.

Tom showed off his tool during OSCON and has gotten some feedback from
community members on it. He's working up a test example that should
appeal to DBAs, and I'll link directly to the source code once he's
got it ready.

This work also involves a patch to PostgreSQL, which should be available soon!

After the meeting, retire to the Lucky Lab for refreshments!

Gab & Selena will get there a little late because of the Linux Plumbers
Conference. We will definitely be there late and then for
after-meeting refreshments