Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

From: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Francisco Reyes" <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning
Date: 2008-07-28 20:17:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>> On 2:59 pm 06/29/08 Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now I'm working with a few other people to put together a more
>>> straightforward single intro guide that should address some of the
>>> vagueness you point out here,
>>
>> Was that ever completed?
>
> Not done yet; we're planning to have a first rev done in another couple of
> weeks. The work in progress is at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server and I'm due to
> work out another set of improvements to that this week during OSCON.

I'd also like to point out we're putting together some data revolving
about software raid, hardware raid, volume management, and filesystem
performance on a system donated by HP here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5_Tuning_Guide

Note that it's also a living guide and we've haven't started covering
some of the things I just mentioned.

Regards,
Mark