top for postgresql (ptop?)

From: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: top for postgresql (ptop?)
Date: 2007-09-25 07:00:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

I was playing with converting unixtop (the version of top used in
FreeBSD) to only show PostgreSQL processes pulled from the
pg_stat_activity table. I have a version that kind of works here:

http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/1468/ptop-3.6.1-pre6.tar.gz

I've tried it on FreeBSD and Linux, not sure about other platforms
though. So it looks a lot like top and can currently do a few simple
things like display the current_query from pg_stat_activity for a
given process, show the locks held by a process and on which tables,
and show the query plan for the current query. It is a ways from
polished (not really documented, etc.) but I wanted to see what people
thought of a text/curses sort of monitoring tool like this. Maybe
something to distribute with PostgreSQL? :)

Forgive me if I didn't try out pgtop (the CPAN module.)

Regards,
Mark