try .. catch .. not working like I expected

From: BeemerBiker <jstateson(at)swri(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: try .. catch .. not working like I expected
Date: 2006-10-31 17:22:23
Lists: pgsql-odbc

A web project with VS8 and dotnet: I am using the (only) SqlDataSource that
is in m$ofts toolbox for their datagrid. All the postgre sql stuff is
grayed out in web project design.

The following generates a server error irregardless of whether I got an [x]
in the debug's enable exception handles:

try { Sql_DS.SelectCommand = "DROP TABLE '##TEMP'" } catch {};

The above works if ##TEMP exists, generats server error if it doesnt.

In looking at the object browser for Sql_DS, I do not see ".Active" nor do I
see ".Execute()" so I assume that the above statement is executed when the
assignment to the SelectCommand is run? In other words do I have the
correct statement in the try..catch.. ?

..TIA..