Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-02-26 20:03:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> HOT works because EDB refused to accept the inherit limitations of
> PostgreSQL. COPY is no different in that aspect. Maybe it can't go
> exponentially faster but the math says, "if done correctly, it can".

You can always make it faster if it doesn't have to give the right
answer ;-).  Or in more practical terms in this case, we have to balance
speed against potentially-large costs in maintainability, datatype
extensibility, and suchlike issues if we are going to try to get more
than percentage points out of straight COPY.