PostgreSQL Write Performance

From: Yan Cheng Cheok <yccheok(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Write Performance
Date: 2010-01-05 03:36:10
Lists: pgsql-general
I am not sure whether I am doing the correct benchmarking way.

I have the following table ;

CREATE TABLE measurement_type
(
  measurement_type_id bigserial NOT NULL,
  measurement_type_name text NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT pk_measurement_type_id PRIMARY KEY (measurement_type_id),
  CONSTRAINT measurement_type_measurement_type_name_key UNIQUE (measurement_type_name)
)

I make the following single write operation through pgAdmin :

INSERT INTO measurement_type ( measurement_type_name )
VALUES('Width');

It takes 16ms to write a single row according to "Query Editor" (bottom right corner)

Am I doing the correct way to benchmarking? I am not sure whether this is expected performance? For me, I am expecting the time measurement is in nano seconds :p

Thanks and Regards
Yan Cheng CHEOK

pgsql-general by date