Re: [INTERFACES] fe_setauthsvc: invalid name. Ignoring... ERROR

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dutt H Kalapatapu" <dutt(at)eudoramail(dot)com>
Cc: "Clint Forgy" <mo(at)midwestonline(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] fe_setauthsvc: invalid name. Ignoring... ERROR
Date: 1999-08-16 14:24:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Dutt H Kalapatapu" <dutt(at)eudoramail(dot)com> writes:
> I finally figured out why I am gettting an authentication failure. The
> problem was my previous code has the declaration for PgDatabase like
> this.

> PgDatabase * myDatabase = new PgDatabase("dbname=template1");

> I was running this code on solaris and everything was working fine. I
> looked at the PgDatabase class and figured out that we no longer need
> that 'dbname='. Now my code looks like this:

> PgDatabase * myDatabase = new PgDatabase("template1");

> and I could now run this from the command line.

Hmm, that explains a couple of things. The first example (with dbname=)
is correct for Postgres 6.5 and later, because PgDatabase's constructor
now takes a conninfo string a la PQconnectdb. Older releases used to
just take a database name, IIRC. So, you are apparently using a
back-rev Postgres on your "new" setup.

I had looked at the code in fe_setauthsvc() and was unable to figure out
a reason for it to fail (it's almost dead code, anyway) --- but I was
looking at the current code. I do seem to recall that pre-6.5 libpq++
would deliver this misleading error message on pretty much any failure
to connect, including specifying a wrong database name.

I'd recommend upgrading to 6.5.1 ASAP.

regards, tom lane