Re: Postgres server crash

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres server crash
Date: 2006-11-19 20:42:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

> (Maybe other people are just
> better at configuring their memory usage?)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am interested in learning the science behind configuring
memory usage. A lot of the docs that I have found on this subject speak in terms of generalities
and rules of thumb. Are there any resources that can show how to tune the kernels parameters to
make use of all of the available memory and at the same time allow all services to get along?

From what I've read it seems that tuning kernel parameters is more of an art rather than a
science, since most recommendations boil down to experiences based on trial and error.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.