Re: More thoughts about FE/BE protocol

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More thoughts about FE/BE protocol
Date: 2003-04-10 22:04:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com> writes:
> This all sounds great. I am really looking to seeing all of this
> implemented. Are you still on schedule for getting this into 7.4?

I gotta get off my duff and get with it, but I still plan to do it.

> And will there be time left for the clients to make the changes
> necessary to use the new protocol?

Well, that depends how long they take ;-)

I had originally planned to do the error message revisions first, but
I now think they should be last, or at least the long/tedious part of
converting all the backend elog calls should be put off to last. That
will provide an interval where all the protocol-level revisions are done
and so people can hack on the clients in parallel with the backend work.

I'll try to put out a protocol spec document first, which would give you
something to shoot at, but I'm not really expecting anyone to work very
hard on it until there's backend code to test against ...