postgresql.conf

From: John Cunningham <fatbobo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql.conf
Date: 2004-12-22 15:15:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey Guys,

I am setting up a new dedicated Postgres server, and will serve about
60 databases to a web site serving 250,000 people at the rate of about
20,000 a day. That may all be irrellevent though for the purposes of
this conversation.

The main thing about the application is that we're talking about lots
and lots of little transactions and onyl a few big ones.

The machine in question will do nothing but serve databases. It's a
dual 3.2Ghz Xeon with 100GB or 15K RPM RAID 5 and 8 GB of RAM. I'd
like to configure it to get the most out of the server possible as far
as shared memory, sort memore, etc. I haven't found a lot of
documentation on this.

By the way, for some reason Postgres 7.4.x wouldn't install properly -
had a problem with initdb - had to use 7.3.6

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-John