Re: Postgres 8.3.1 configure fails on Solaris 10 using gcc 3.4.3 and building for 64 bit

From: Harry Broomhall <haeb(at)pc60(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bjorn Munch <Bjorn(dot)Munch(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.3.1 configure fails on Solaris 10 using gcc 3.4.3 and building for 64 bit
Date: 2008-03-24 22:11:34
Lists: pgsql-ports

Thank you for your rapid reply.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:19:28 +0100, you wrote:

>You can download 8.3.1 64bit version for Solaris from community web site
>http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.1/solaris/i386/

I had seen this and downloaded it. The problem is that it is for
Solaris Express, not the 'standard' Solaris 10. This fails because it
expects a newer version of ssl than supplied.

Forgive me if I have used the wrong terms, but it is becoming clear
to me that Solaris 10 exists in two versions. The 'commercial'
versions, which is what we have to use, and has a slow update cycle
(we are on 11/06) and Express, which seems much more up-to-date, but
seems not to be available commercialy.

>Or is there something missing what you need? I also put Bjorn on CC. He builded
>this packages, but we use Sun Studio compiler.
>
>You can also look how 8.2 is builded in opensolaris:
>
>http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/postgres/postgresql-8.2/

Many thanks for the pointer. I'll take a look at it. It would
appear that I haven't been supplied with the Studio compiler.

Regards,
Harry.