How many postmasters should be running?

From: "Stock, Stuart" <Stuart(dot)Stock(at)DrKW(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How many postmasters should be running?
Date: 2006-02-28 02:05:51
Lists: pgsql-general

A few minutes ago, we were surprised to find a second postmaster process
running on our database machine as a child of the original postmaster. The
child postmaster was around for about a minute then disappeared. This is a
Opteron machine running RedHat AS4 with Postgres 8.1.2.

Does the postmaster process ever spawn a child postmaster? Is this normal?

If you have received this e-mail in error or wish to read our e-mail disclaimer statement and monitoring policy, please refer to or contact the sender.

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Randy YatesDate: 2006-02-28 02:32:07