Re: Proposed Patch to Improve Performance of Multi-BatchHash Join for Skewed Data Sets

From: "Lawrence, Ramon" <ramon(dot)lawrence(at)ubc(dot)ca>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bryce Cutt" <pandasuit(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua Tolley" <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed Patch to Improve Performance of Multi-BatchHash Join for Skewed Data Sets
Date: 2009-02-25 05:38:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I agree that there should be no noticeable performance difference when
the optimization is not used (single batch case or no skew). I think
the patch achieves this. The optimization is not used in those cases,
but we will review to see if it is the code that by-passes the
optimization that is causing a difference.

The query #3 timing difference is primarily due to a flaw in the
experimental setup. For some reason, query #3 got executed before #4
with the optimization on, and executed after #4 with the optimization
off. This skewed the results for all runs (due to buffering issues),
but is especially noticeable for Z7. Note how query #4 is always faster
for the optimization on version even though the optimization is not
actually used for those queries (because they were one batch). I expect
that if you run query #3 on Z7 in isolation then the results should be
basically identical.

I have attached the SQL script that Joshua sent me. The raw data I have
posted at: http://people.ok.ubc.ca/rlawrenc/test.output

--
Ramon Lawrence

Attachment Content-Type Size
test.sql application/octet-stream 12.5 KB