Re: lock - feedback

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Thomas Rokohl" <rokohl(at)raygina(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lock - feedback
Date: 2005-10-12 16:06:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> sure it is big problem, but i think you can solve it with different
> locking types.
> if you have a write look and no read looks it should work.
> i mean if you never ban the reading of the data but you guarantee with
> write locks
> than only one user can have a record in write-mode everything is fine
> and nothing is slow.
> and this is the point where i want to pop up a dialog with the message
> that someone else edit the record yet.

with user locks I do exactly this.  I develop a ISAM (COBOL) driver for
postgresql with pessimistic locking including ISAM style table locks.
Play with the userlock module and you will find there are various lock
types meeting different criteria.

Merlin

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Joseph ArmbrusterDate: 2005-10-12 19:34:58