Re: Lowercase folding - simple patch?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <agnewtj(at)netscape(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lowercase folding - simple patch?
Date: 2005-07-26 19:51:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc
> We have a large database with camel case names for schemas, tables,
> columns, etc.  I'm able to connect via ODBC with MS Access, but not
> Excel (MSQuery).  The names are not quoted and lowercase folding kicks
> - so all tables are 'not found'.   If I manually edit the MSQuery sql
> double-quote all names, i can get the queries to work - but each and
> query must be manually edited.  Obviously unworkable.

Well, you pretty much have to get used to it.  Sometimes, MS Query
'helps' you out by parsing and rewriting your query, especially if you
have parameter variables in your query.  In this case you are limited to
the reduced set of functions and operators that MS query understands.  I
have no clue why MS has not fixed this to allow excel to send SQL
directly to the server (one workaround is to manually insert the query
into the save file).
> Is it possible for the odbc driver to return schema, table and column
> names to MSQuery in double-quoted form so queries are built correctly?
> Alternatively, could the odbc driver insert double-quotes on-the-fly
> it sees uppercase characters in the names?

update pg_class set relname = lower(relname) :-). <-- note, I am not
suggesting you actually do this.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2005-07-27 13:06:23