Re: Manual installation of PostgreSQL 8

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "frank church" <pgsql(at)adontendev(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Manual installation of PostgreSQL 8
Date: 2005-07-19 13:47:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> I have tried the pginstaller a number of times on my system and it
> ends
> in failure.
> I have seen a setup file on the pgfoundry site that allows manual
> installation.
> Is there some documentation for it?
following is steps to do complete manual install without using install
pgm in windows batch.
1.    replace some_location with location of destination database folder
2.    pg binaries must be in path before running batch (grab the
binaries only distro).  you may want to prefix the binaries in the batch
with the full path.
3.    ntrights is utility to manually add user rights (google it). sanur
is utility to force runas to accept password from pipe (google it).
4.    service name, database NT user account, and database NT password
are all 'PostgreSQL' override as necessary.
5.    to trouble shoot initdb problems run cmd from within runas line
and run initdb manually and you can see the error (or check the log
net user /add PostgreSQL PostgreSQL /PASSWORDCHG:NO
/usercomment:"PostgreSQL Database Account"
ntrights +r SeServiceLogonRight -u PostgreSQL
runas /user: PostgreSQL "initdb --no-locale -D some_location" | sanur
echo Press Enter when database init is finished (init window goes away).
pg_ctl register -N e PostgreSQL -U PostgreSQL -P PostgreSQL -D
net start PostgreSQL
echo installation finished

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date