Re: Delphi 2005 & ZEOS Lib

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Philippe Lang" <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Delphi 2005 & ZEOS Lib
Date: 2005-05-09 12:29:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I made one or two quick tests, and yes, this works pretty fine. The
> installation caused me some problems, but everything is running fine
since
> then.
>
> Is there anything we should be aware of when using Delphi and ZEOS
with
> Postgresql 8.0, compared to ODBC, for example? Like a limitation or
> anything like this? I have seen PG 7.4 protocol support in ZEOS, but
> correct me if I'm wrong, the PG 8.0 protocol is similar, right?

Zeos 6.1.x and 6.5.x are a built around libpq 7.4. The last major
protocol revision in pg was 7.3 IIRC. The pg support of Zeos is pretty
good, I personally worked on testing and fixes for the pg driver during
for Zeos 6.0 and 6.1. The earlier versions had problems with arrays,
not sure about the newer ones since I don't happen to be doing anything
with Zeos at this particular moment.

In your other mail you asked about Crystal Reports. I've never actually
used CR with Delphi, but I'm assuming it makes its own independent
connection to the database. In this case, yes it will require the ODBC
driver but you should not have too many problems...you are not using the
BDE. If there is some sort of reliance on the BDE dataset objects
(TDataset, TTable), then I'd suggest dumping CR and picking up Ace
Reporter. You have looked at Ace Reporter, right? :-).

Merlin