Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access as front-end, migration from MSDE to POstgreSQL?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Jeff Eckermann" <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Zlatko \"Matiæ <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access as front-end, migration from MSDE to POstgreSQL?
Date: 2005-03-24 16:03:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> --- Zlatko Matiæ <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have an Access Project aplication (Access with
> > MSDE) that want to migrate to PostgreSQL.
> > Therefore I need some information about using Access
> > as front-end for POstgreSQL, as well as information
> > about migration from MSDE to PostgreSQL, especially
> > concerning migration of stored procedures.
> > Is there any book available ?
>
> There is no single good guide available. You will
> find useful information, along with the PostgreSQL
> ODBC driver here:

If he is already using MSDE then I would suggest giving DTS a shot (for the data). DTS is very powerful.

For stored procs you are looking at a rewrite. This is not as bad as it sounds, pl/pgsql is powerful and relatively easy to learn if you already know T-SQL.

There is a lot of debate surrounding the relative merits of building your application into stored procedures...my personal take is that as long as your are reasonably assured that you are on the correct database platform they are very much the right way to go. IMO, PostgreSQL is far and away the best DBMS deserving of your precious application code.

Merlin