Re: long sql "in" clause crashes server process (8.0 Release)

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: long sql "in" clause crashes server process (8.0 Release)
Date: 2005-01-24 20:03:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Hmm, are those in bytes? The default value of max_stack_depth is 2048
> (kilobytes), which really means that we are assuming a physical stack
> limit of 3Mb or more, because the max_stack_depth check isn't exact.

Hex, so about 2 mb of stack by default.

> Can we increase that setting during the Windows build? I'd like to
see
> it set to 4Mb if possible.

Yes. Also, if the poster happens to have visual studio installed, there
is a utility called editbin that allows manually changing a stack (be
sure to change postgres.exe and postmaster.exe at the least).

The linker switch to do this is:

The Stack Allocations (/STACK:reserve[,commit]) option sets the size of
the stack in bytes.

> BTW, what's the difference between "stack reserve" and "stack commit"?

Just guessing, but this may have something to do with controlling how
much of the stack can be swapped out to virtual memory. I'd suggest
leaving it alone.

Merlin