Re: ODBC release plans?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "James M Doherty PGADMIN" <jimmyd(at)jdoherty(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC release plans?
Date: 2005-01-17 15:30:43
Lists: pgsql-odbc
> Merlin,
>
> Yes Borland C++ builder is exactly what I am using ....
>
> Jim

Well, since a text field is unbounded, the VCL is going to give you a
TMemoField which is really what is supposed to happen, TMemoField being
designed to handle unbounded fields.  By the way, this is not a problem
with the ODBC driver.

So, I'd suggest the following alternatives:
1. Learn to live with TMemoField.  This basically you means you need to
pick up some 3rd party VCL controls, especially a grid replacement, one
that doesn't say 'memo' for TMemoField.  The build it edit control for
memo fields TDBMemo, is ok, but there are better ones out there.

2. Cast your field expression coming in and going out, now it gets
treated as a string field (rebind your fields to the dataset).  Of
course, I gather that kind of goes against the whole reason for going
with the 'text' type to begin with.

Merlin
p.s. If you are doing serious development in C++ builder, I strongly
recommend looking at the Zeos database components.  They are very fast
and access the database directly without going through the BDE. (or
ODBC).

http://www.zeoslib.net

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Claudio DuffiniDate: 2005-01-17 18:16:18
Previous:From: James M Doherty PGADMINDate: 2005-01-17 14:36:26