Re: [PERFORM] scalability issues on win32

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Win 32 hackers PGSQL" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] scalability issues on win32
Date: 2004-12-02 20:12:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> I would say that it shouldn't delay the release --- worst case, we say
> "the collector doesn't work very well under Win32 yet".  It's probably
> not the only part of the system we'll find needs work under Win32.
>
> This is moot if Merlin can find some simple fixable bug, but I'm
worried
> that doing anything significant might require major work.
>
> BTW, what about the issue we just identified with piperead() failing
> set errno on Windows?  That would certainly account for the "random
> collector restarts" complaint ...

no, recv() is #defined to a wrapper on win32 that calls the appropriate
errno setter function.   I'll just have to do some more research and
report back when I find something interesting...I'll just hack
piperead() to emit more information when it fails.  In any event I can
work around the issue until it is resovled.

In any case I'd definitely vote against delaying the release for various
reasons, not the least of which is that there is no independent
confirmation of the issues I've been seeing.

On a probably unrelated note:
Can some other win32 hacker try the following?
Download the latest cvs sources from the server and edit configure,
replacing all instances of '8.0beta5' with '8.0' etc. as is will be when
released.  Following that do a full make/make clean.  After that try and
start he server with pg_ctl.exe and tell me if it succeeds or not.

Thanks in advance,
Merlin

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date